St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly
Council of the Isles of Scilly
EA Grey, on behalf of Wright Construction
Structural Drawing & Detailing
Buzza Reservoir, located on the hill above Hugh Town, is the storage facility for the potable water supply to the town and was originally constructed in 1924. The reservoir is a semi-buried concrete structure, 19m long x 8m wide x 2m deep with 600mm thick walls and a suspended concrete roof slab with access hatches.
James Lockyer Associates assessed the cracked and leaking structure as being near to the end of its lifespan and in need of extensive repair and refurbishment. We designed a structural lining of reinforced concrete to the floor and walls, along with a new reinforced concrete roof slab, which had to be raised to maintain the same storage capacity.
All equipment and materials for the works had to be transported to the island by barge and the concrete was mixed on site using a small batching plant. Concrete cubes were taken to allow the compressive strength to be tested after 28 days to ensure conformity of the water retaining concrete.